Incorporated as a city in 1890, Highland Park grew to over 300 family’s in a short 10 years. The city name was adopted because of the way the area was elevated in relation to the surrounding terrain and was not nearly as flood prone as the neighboring city of Louisville. Originally it was built for workers at the local Louisville and Nashville Railroad yard. With quaint Indian names for the streets like Wampum, Hiawatha, Huron, and Dakota St, coupled with the fact that it wasn’t prone to flooding it’s growth was all but guaranteed.
As a growing city it managed to include Beechmont and Wilder Park, before the city of Louisville started a court battle in 1917 that they eventually won in 1922 allowing them to annex all of Highland Park.
In it’s beginning the main street of the city was Louisville Avenue, but later changed to Park Boulevard after the introduction of a street car line that was introduced to the area in 1920.
After world war II ended a lot of the neighborhood was razed to accommodate the Watterson Expressway, In the early 90’s the entire neighborhood was razed as a part of a major expansion of what at that time was known as Standiford field, which us Louisville area residents now know as the Louisville International Airport.